BOYLE HEIGHTS A tanker truck overturned and burst into flames in Boyle Heights Friday, releasing a river of flaming gasoline that significantly damaged one home and destroyed an SUV before firefighters got the upper hand, officials said.
The tanker fire was first reported about 3:30 p.m. in the 2600 block of 8th Street, just east of Soto Street, according to Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey.
The driver of the tandem tanker truck driver was entering the 5 Freeway from the 8th Street offramp when the rear trailer overturned and caught fire, Humphrey said. A second fuel tanker being hauled by the truck remained on its wheels.
The driver escaped unscathed from the burning big rig, officials said. The intense fire sent a thick black plume into the air that was visible for miles around.
The “bulk of visible fire” was controlled about an hour after it began, officials said.
Humphrey said the tanker, which had a capacity of 4,800 gallons, was believed to be carrying unknown type of fuel, however further details were not available.
The truck driver was attempting to enter the 5 Freeway from the 8th Street onramp when the mishap occurred, officials said.
The local street and 8th Avenue onramp were expected to remain closed through the afternoon to allow for clean-up, investigation and utility repairs, Humphrey said.
Fuel leaking from the burning tanker produced a “river of fire” that headed downhill, Humphrey said. The fire destroyed an SUV that was parked along the curb.
“There were three homes in the path of the fire,” he said.
The two homes nearest to the fire sustained only cosmetic damage such as singed eves.
But the flow of burning gasoline made its way around the corner and set fire to triplex and some nearby brush, Humphrey said. At least one unit in the subdivided building sustained significant damage, and the residents would be temporarily displaced.
The two tanker trailers being hailed by the truck had a combined capacity of about 9,000 gallons of gasoline, Humphrey said. The rear trailer, which overturned and caught fire, contained about 4,800 gallons of fuel.
Nearly 3,000 gallons of gas leaked from the truck, Humphrey said. The second tanker did not rupture.
Firefighters worked to carefully drill a hole in the overturned tanker and use a vaccuum truck to drain it of an estimated 2,000 gallons of remaining fuel, Humphrey said.
The 8th Street onramp tot he 5 Freeway, as well as a small portion of 8th Street, were expected to remain closed at least through the end of Friday.
The bulk of “visible flames” was extinguished within about 20 minutes, Humphrey said. The fire was declared fully extinguished about 80 minutes after it ignited.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/11/01/tanker-truck-bursts-into-flames-in-boyle-heights/

SANTA ANA A La Habra gang member received a sentence of 50 years to life in state prison Friday for fatally shooting a Westminster man outside a La Habra Halloween party eight years ago, authorities said.
A Santa Ana Superior Court jury convicted David Anthony Parga, a 28-year-old member of the West Side La Habra street gang, late last year of second-degree murder for the Oct. 29, 2006, slaying of 27-year-old Leland Washington, according to Orange County District Attorney’s officials.
In addition to finding Parga guilty of murder, the jury also found true special allegations that the crime was gang-related, and that Parga personally used a firearm in the killing, district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
Washington, a senior at California State University, Long Beach, attended a Halloween party in the 400 block of West First Street when he was shot to death shortly after 1:30 a.m., officials said.
Though the party was attended by many gang members, Washington had no gang ties, district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
Washington went to the party at the invitation of two friends, but returned to his car after he was unable to find them.
“Outside of the house, Parga approached Washington and shot him without provocation several times in the torso,” according to the district attorney’s office statement. “Parga murdered the victim for a criminal street gang purpose. Washington and Parga did not know each other, and the victim had no previous contact or conflict with anyone at the party.”
Washington’s friend placed the wounded man into a car, called 9-1-1 and rushed him to the La Habra Police Department, officials said. He was then taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
After the investigation into Washington’s murder went cold, prosecutors developed new evidence and charged Parga with the killing in 2009. He was already serving a jail sentence for leading police on a chase in a stolen car that ended with a crash in Whittier about two weeks after the slaying.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/11/01/la-habra-gang-member-sentenced-for-2006-slaying-outside-halloween-party/

LOS ANGELES A jury acquitted two men of murder but convicted them of drunken driving-related charges Friday in connection with an alleged street racing crash that left a 90-year-old West Covina woman dead on Christmas Day in 2012, authorities said.
Vincent Lopez, 31, and Victor Hugo Sanchez, 36, both of Rialto, were each charged with murder, along with DUI, in connection with the crash at Lark Ellen and Merced avenues that claimed the life of Celia La Torre, who was riding as a passenger in a van driven by her son after picking her up from a local hospital. La Torre, who was sitting in a wheelchair in the can being driven by her son, was thrown from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene, West Covina police officials said.
Lopez and Sanchez were believed to be racing each other when a Mitsubishi Eclipse being driven by Lopez went through a red light and slammed broadside into the van containing La Torre and her son. The son suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
The jury Friday found both defendants not guilty of murder, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.
But they jury convicted Lopez of drunken driving causing injury or death, as well as driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of .08 percent, Ardalani said.
He was ordered back to Los Angeles Superior Court Nov. 17 for sentencing, she said. Under state law, Lopez faces a maximum sentence of nine years in state prison.
After finding Sanchez guilty of a misdemeanor count of drunken driving, the judge immediately sentenced him to 730 days in jail, Ardalani said. He has already served the time and was expected to be released Friday afternoon.
Both defendants were being held in lieu of $1 million bail pending the trial process.
Lopez, who suffered a broken leg in the crash, was arrested at the scene, officials said. Sanchez, who was driving the Ford Escort Lopez was racing, fled the scene and was arrested early the following morning in Pomona.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/11/01/rialto-men-acquitted-of-murder-convicted-of-dui-for-fatal-christmas-day-crash-in-west-covina/

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. Although we do not pre-screen comments, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.

If you see comments that you find offensive, please use the “Flag as Inappropriate” feature by hovering over the right side of the post, and pulling down on the arrow that appears. Or, contact our editors by emailing moderator@langnews.com.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/30/fire-scorches-garage-attacked-to-el-monte-apartment-building/

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. Although we do not pre-screen comments, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.

If you see comments that you find offensive, please use the “Flag as Inappropriate” feature by hovering over the right side of the post, and pulling down on the arrow that appears. Or, contact our editors by emailing moderator@langnews.com.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/31/one-wounded-in-altadena-drive-by-shooting/

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. Although we do not pre-screen comments, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.

If you see comments that you find offensive, please use the “Flag as Inappropriate” feature by hovering over the right side of the post, and pulling down on the arrow that appears. Or, contact our editors by emailing moderator@langnews.com.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/31/police-car-struck-officers-unhurt-in-shotgun-ambush-in-monterey-park/

PASADENA The ex-boyfriend of a Pasadena high school science teacher is accused of hacking into the teacher’s e-mail account and distributing nude photos of the educator to hundreds of students and adults, police said Thursday.
David Antonio Galvan, 38, was booked into Los Angeles County jail Wednesday, according to Pasadena police officials and county booking records. U.S. Marshal’s officials arrested him just over a week ago in Oregon.
He’s charged with a felony count of false impersonation, a felony county of identity theft, a misdemeanor count of electronic impersonation and two misdemeanor counts of distributing obscene matter, police said.
The investigation began on July 10 when an email containing nude pictures of John Muir High School science teacher Richard Rosa sent to more than 200 students, school staff and community members, Pasadena police officials said in a written statement. Several recipients of the emails contacted police, Cmdr. John Perez said at the time.
“A criminal investigation was launched and detectives learned that Rosa was not responsible for the emails and he was out of the country at the time the emails were generated,” Pasadena police Lt. Terysa Rojas said.
“Further investigation revealed the e-mails were sent by Rosa’s estranged partner, David A. Galvan, who had unlawfully accessed Mr. Rosa’s Pasadena Unified School District e-mail account. Suspect Galvan was reportedly angry over the relationship ending when he distributed the obscene pictures.”
Police presented their case to prosecutors on July 24, officials said. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office issued a $110,000 warrant for Galvan’s arrest.
Galvan fled the state after learning he was being sought by police, Rojas said.
U.S. Marshals helped police find and arrest Galvan Oct. 21 in Hillsboro, Oregon, she said.
Galvan waived extradition proceedings and officials took him back to Los Angeles County to face charges Wednesday.
Galvan posted bail and was released from custody Thursday afternoon, booking records show. He was scheduled to appear in Pasadena Superior Court Nov. 21.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/31/man-accused-of-hacking-pasadena-teachers-e-mail-sending-nude-photos/

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. Although we do not pre-screen comments, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.

If you see comments that you find offensive, please use the “Flag as Inappropriate” feature by hovering over the right side of the post, and pulling down on the arrow that appears. Or, contact our editors by emailing moderator@langnews.com.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/31/one-wounded-in-altadena-drive-by-shooting/

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. Although we do not pre-screen comments, we reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.

If you see comments that you find offensive, please use the “Flag as Inappropriate” feature by hovering over the right side of the post, and pulling down on the arrow that appears. Or, contact our editors by emailing moderator@langnews.com.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/31/el-monte-police-plan-checkpoint-saturday-night/

MONTEBELLO A man turned himself in Tuesday in connection with a hit-and run crash that left a 28-year-old motorcyclist from Whittier dead over the weekend, officials said.
George Antonio Lopez-Chavira died following the crash, which took place about 4:45 p.m. Friday on Washington Boulevard, just west of Bluff Road, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Ed Winter said.
He was riding a motorcycle east along Washington Boulevard when he was struck from behind by a four-door car that fled the scene, Montebello police officials said in a written statement. The impact forced Lopez-Chavira’s motorcycle into a pole, and he succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
Both vehicles were heading east at high speeds prior to the crash, police said.
The hit-and-run driver remained at-large until Tuesday, when Rafael Victor Morales, 35, of Whittier called the Montebello Police Department, according to police and Los Angeles County booking records.
“Investigators from the Montebello Traffic Unit received a phone call from a male who stated that he was the driver investigators were looking for relating to the fatal traffic collision,” Montebello police said in a written statement.
“The suspect told investigators that he called to turn himself in because he felt pressured based on recent social media posts on both Twitter and Facebook from the Montebello Police Department,” the statement said. “Investigators responded to Whittier (Boulevard) and Ocean View (Avenue) in the city of Whittier where the suspect was waiting to turn himself in.”
Records indicate police arrested Morales at 5 p.m.
Police arrested Morales on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run, officials said.
He was behind the wheel of a Nissan Altima when he was involved in the fatal hit and run, Lt. Kelly Gordon said.
The manslaughter charge stems from alleged reckless driving on the part of Morales prior to the crash, the lieutenant said.
Morales and Lopez-Chavira did not know one another prior to the crash, she added.
According to booking records, Morales was being held in lieu of $50,000 bail. He was scheduled to appear scheduled for arraignment Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Article source: http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2014/10/30/whittier-man-turns-self-in-following-fatal-montebello-hit-and-run/